Snorkel Adventures

If you want to get in the middle of the ocean or a private island, you’ll have to get on a small boat from the locals or a paid excursion tour, but if your happy just seeing fish and sea life in general, grab your own snorkel gear and head out to a fish populated areas!

Me and my husband took our own snorkel gear (mask and fins) but I would also recommend bringing your own inflatable vest. While in Cancun, don’t expect much snorkeling unless you travel on an excursion but don’t worry if you go looking you’ll find a spot that will cost you barely nothing to snorkel. Here are my picks!

1. While in Cancun, the best place near the hotels is the southern shoreline of the Hotel Zone near the Club Med and Westin Regina Resorts. If you are staying in an all inclusive resort, chances are that snorkel equipment is included but probably only for an hour rental. If not, most hotels and dive shops rent snorkeling equipment for about $5 a day if you choose not to bring your own.

2)The coral reefs near Puerto Morales (20 minutes from the Cancun airport) are a much better environment in which to snorkel. The reef is much closer to the beach and a great place to go snorkeling on your own.

1. El Garrafon National Park in Isla Mujeres is also a great place to see tons of fish.

4)Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel as well as the most of the beaches. Just take a water taxi from Cancun.

1. Eco-Parks like Xcaret and Xel-Ha offer great snorkeling.

6)Cenotes (underwater caves) are also a great way to see a different side of underwater Cancun.

7)The Nichupte Lagoon between Cancun Island and Cancun City offers a fresh water and saltwater mixture of snorkeling.

1. In general, Isla Mujeres, which is a a small island 8 miles across the bay from Cancun, has great beaches for snorkeling as well as many shops to walk around. The ferries that leave from the Hotel Zone (behind Fat Tuesday’s) cost about 150 pesos round trip (a little under $20).

Check out this link for more information where to snorkel! 5 Top places to snorkel in/near Cancun, Mexico

Happy Travels!