Best resort for a multigenerational family vacation

My parents’ 50th wedding anniversary is next year and we’re thinking about all going on a vacation together. There will be 13 of us: eight adults (ages 35-73) and five kids (6-11).

We are destination agnostic but wherever we needs to go needs to have access to lots of excursions and activities, because my parents aren’t “sit at the beach all day and drink” people.

Any ideas?

As you may already know, the Valentin Riviera Maya property is a very large property (138 acres) so you have a combination of the pool scene and quiet. Located in Riviera Maya, you have access to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, dolphin swims and parks such as Xelha. [okay, this one isn’t going to work as I was reminded that it is adult only]

Personally, I’d also recommend the Barcelo Maya / Colonial. It’s a very large property which essentially has a mini-mall, a surf wave pool and waterpark (extra $$$) and the best gym that I’ve ever seen at a resort (Noble Beach Prize for it this year). Plus the normal watersports, golf (if I recall correctly), and tennis.

The other family property that I’m looking to get to as soon as I can is the Dreams Playa Mujeres. It is located adjacent to the Secrets Playa Mujeres such that adults can use the facilities on both properties. The other really cool thing about that property is that they just opened an on property swim with the dolphins facility last week. This saves all of the transit hassle and makes better use of your time. If you haven’t done it and have any love for animals, I’d highly recommend it.