AM RESORTS in Cozumel and Riviera Maya

Hey Beach Lovers!! I recently had the opportunity to travel to the island of Cozumel and then take the ferry over to Riviera Maya for a few nights. Most people that travel to Cozumel are there for the AMAZING DIVING as it’s sits off the coast of the 2nd largest coral reef in the World!! All of the properties we toured on our FAM trip were AM Resorts, which was awesome!!

Our first two nights were spent at the Secrets Aura Cozumel. I stayed in the Preferred Club Jr. Suite Ocean Front.  The room was GINORMOUS!! Although the water seeped out of my shower, I threw some towels on the floor and quickly cleaned that up.  I definitely recommend checking out the SKY BAR.  This bar is rooftop and is the perfect place to grab sushi while catching the stunning Caribbean views as well as a killer sunset!   While staying at the Secrets Aura, we were able to share sister privileges at the Sunscape Sabor Cozumel.  The deluxe Ocean Front rooms there were incredible, especially if you have small children. We also grabbed a late night drink at their oceanfront beach bar, Coconuts!! 

Day 2: The Jeep tour excursion was an amazing experience! We left in a jeep right from our hotel. We traveled to Punta Sur Eco Reserve. While there we saw crocodiles, climbed a light house & snorkeled in the clearest water I’ve ever seen! We had a great Mexican lunch on the beach with a few margarita’s in hand! Next, we hopped back in the jeep and trekked to San Gervasio where we were able to view Mayan ruins and learn about their ancient culture. Then finally we ended our tour with a tequila tasting!! NOTE: the person driving the jeep has to where a special bracelet and is the designated driver for the day, so choose wisely!

Day 3: We kick-started our morning with a smooth 40 minute ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. Give yourself some time to enjoy the beauty of their famous 5th Avenue upon arrival. This is where you want to get shopping done and grab some souvenirs! From there, we saw 8 properties. I’ll post all of my pictures as well as small write up on each resort.
• SECRETS CAPRI: beautiful adults-only resort. I really liked the small size of this property and the more authentic Mexican Décor.
• NOW JADE: beautiful family friendly resort. Very modern in design and décor. Bring your sunscreen because there is not much shade on this property unless you are in your room.
• NOW SAPPHIRE: This was my favorite family-friendly resort. The grounds were gorgeous and it sits on beautiful stretch of beach. There are different shades of blue hues in the water and the property had the Mexican architecture that I like. We had lunch at the buffet and there were plenty of options for all food palettes. Upgrade to the beach front or Ocean front rooms, definitely well worth it!!
• SECRETS SILVERSANDS: More posh/modern décor at this property. Their brand new over the pool cabanas are SWEET!! The beach here is not the greatest, but the pool is always bumping and the night life is great!
• ZOETRY PARAISO DE LA BONITA: This is definitely for people looking to relax on vacation. The vibe here is ultra-luxurious with a very ZEN like atmosphere throughout this boutique property. Although this is a family friendly resort, you probably won’t see too many children there.
• BREATHLESS RIVIERA CANCUN: Their tagline is “WELCOME to the PARTY!” The atmosphere here is very chic and upbeat. If you were to combine VEGAS with SOUTH BEACH and put it in the CARIBBEAN, Breathless is EXACTLY that! There were a mix of ages ranging from early 20’s to late 60’s. The XCELERATE ZONE parties hard with a DJ at the pool and FOAM parties a few times per week. The ENERGY ZONE was a little more laid back and more my style with a swim up bar and music. The PREFERRED CLUB Area was the quiet and relaxing section of the resort. This is a great property for Bachelor & Bachelorette parties! Lots of fun with a very sexy vibe!
• SECRETS AKUMAL: Akumal means “Place of Turtles” so you can literally walk from the beach and right into the ocean to be greeted and snorkel with these AMAZING see creatures. It was so COOL! Although this resort is about an hour or so south of the Cancun airport, the ride is totally worth it. This was my favorite property on our tour. The plants and lush tropical vegetation growing on property is beautifully manicured and truly a sight to see. They have a gorgeous stretch of powdery white sand beach and HELLO you can swim with SEA TURTLES!!
• DREAMS PUERTO AVENTURAS: One of the only high rise hotels that I know of in Riviera Maya. This property goes 7 stories high and the 7th floor is reserved for Preferred Club to get the best views! This is family friendly resort, great for those traveling with younger kids as the resort is pretty compact. There’s dolphinarium on site and the hotel itself sits within a gated community of PUERTO AVENTURAS. If you go off the hotel complex, there are little shops and marina within the small village.
• PREFERRED CLUB: If you book a preferred club room category, be sure to ask your concierge if the HYDROTHERAPY CIRCUIT is included as complimentary privilege with that room category. I took advantage of that my last day of the trip, and wish I had taken advantage of that every day because it was SUPER!!

Great read! I’ll be down at the Secrets Akumal in a few weeks! I haven’t been to Zoetry yet, but really want to get there.

I visited Secrets Aura Cozumel about a week ago. The cool thing about this property is that there are building with ground floor rooms where you walk out right onto the beach. This is surprisingly rare (another property with this set up is the Divi in Aruba). Cozumel also has a different feel in that it’s a bit more laid back than Cancun. Cozumel’s downtown area is also quite reminiscent of Florida Keys down town areas. The fact that you can snorkel right off the beach is also a nice plus.